We head north via Anlong Veng, a former Khmer Rouge stronghold until the end of the civil war in 1998, to the magnificent Preah Vihear. The snaking road up the mountain is very steep in places and we eventually emerge at the second enclosure of this king of the mountain temples. We explore the temple on foot and continue onwards to the final level, clinging to a cliff face in the Dangrek Mountains, towering hundreds of metres above lowland Cambodia below. The views from this most mountainous of temple mountains are breathtaking, the foundation stones of the temple stretching to the edge of the cliff as it plunges precipitously away to the plains of Preah Vihear province below. After exploring this great temple, we spend the night in our Angkor safari tent.
Safari Tent at Preah Vihea
2 days - 1 night
Siem Reap via Anlong Veng to Preah Vihear
Preah Vihear to Siem Reap via Koh Ker
After the option of sunrise at the superb temple of Preah Vihear, we have breakfast and we continue to the remote Angkor capital of Koh Ker. The history of Cambodia is riven with dynastic spats and political intrigue and one of the most memorable came in the 10th century when Jayavarman IV (928-942) fell out with his family, stormed off to the northwest and established the rival capital of Koh Ker. Although the capital for just 15 years, Jayavarman IV was determined to legitimise his rule through a prolific building programme that left a legacy of 30 major temples and some gargantuan sculpture that is on display in the National Museum in Phnom Penh. We visit the vast Prasat Thom, a seven-storey step pyramid, more Mayan than Khmer, with commanding views over the surrounding forest. Nearby is Prasat Krahom or Red Temple, named after the pinkish stone from which it is built. We then set out for the return trip to Siem Reap where we check into our hotel and enjoy some rest and relaxation.
- All sightseeing tour and services as detailed in our itinerary,
- Private transfers in very good air-con vehicle (Minivan, Bus or 4WD car) according to the road condition of the trip, a 4WD is for 3pax max.
- Accommodation in twin shared room basis at each place as per itinerary inclusive breakfast
- English speaking local guide
- All entrance fees,
- Meals for B-breakfast, L-lunch and D-dinner as indicated
- Drinking water during sightseeing
- Public liability insurance
- All sightseeing tour and other services are as same as in ‘ Adventure’ above.
- Private transfers in luxurious air-con vehicle (4WD), max 3 persons in each.
- Accommodation a night by the temple in luxury tented camp (shared twin) basis and inclusive fully-appointed hotel-style bathrooms, complete with flush toilet, wash basin and stylish toiletries. The furnishings are all wood, including full-size single beds, tables and chairs and clothes rails, plus an antique brass fan. Service is taken to another level, including bath robe, slippers and orchids on the bed with a turndown service. Meals are fully catered as before, but with a butler service and beer and wine is also included, not only soft drinks and water.
What’s Not Included:
- Accommodation in Siem Reap town
- Angkor Pass
- Visa for Cambodia
- All domestic and international flight
- Any other services are not mentioned in the above itinerary.